Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

At least he didn't freak out.

He might have gotten a heart attack. I mean he IS getting up there in age...

Okay, just kidding.

We didn't do much for Pro Boxer's birthday. I have decided that I am horrible at planning. Or I have just given up. It seems every time I do try to plan something it falls through. Whatever the case, my horribleness or lack of motivation or whatever it is, I just don't plan things anymore.

Anyway... I decided to make a recipe that my aunt who has lived in Sweden for..... a good portion of my life. Raspberry torte. I have no idea if I am spelling it right. Everything went along smoothly, and I amazed myself that I was able to keep the kitchen in decent order, AND do pretty well at a recipe that I hadn't ever made before. After the cakes came out at the perfect time, no crumbs clinging to the toothpick, I should have known it was too good to be true. (please keep in mind that I hardly ever, EVER make cakes from scratch... disclaimer is over)

I tried to get the first cake out of the pan so it could cool. It wouldn't come. Side note: don't ever try to force a cake out of the pan when it doesn't want to come. Breakage will happen. Yes, it fell apart. The good kind of fall apart though... it was a completely done cake as was evident. Good thing that was the bottom part, eh? Either that or it just volunteered itself for the job. Whatever. I am good at puzzles and patchwork (at least in regard to food) so i just kind of force it to resemble a possible cake like shape. You with me? The second cake I decide that it might be a good idea to slide a knife through the sides so that it can come out easier. Thankfully it did.

I must put in here, I was so proud of myself being able to get both the raspberries sugared and mixed, the best ones being set aside for the top, AND all the dishes washed before the cakes were finished. I can't believe it, even now.

The whipped cream. Is. The 'frosting'. My mom taught me a while ago how to homewhip cream. I find that I am rather good at it, once I remember the process. Well, as I have never made this before, and haven't ever known how much whipped cream it would take to frost a whole layered cake, sides and all..... I poured the whole thing of cream (you know... the big one) into the bowl, assuming that the bowl would be able to handle it. After all... it was the only metal bowl that we had for me to freeze. (My grandma did it, my mom did it, only until she found out that her mom only did it because she made whipped cream out of canned milk. Who knew? Anyway, Pro Boxer had tried whipping shelf cream, and it didn't turn out well... possibly because it was still warm and he didn't use the chilled bowl or beaters? I was worried about the time the cream spent out of doors waiting for the bus to bring us back home so that is why I used the frozen things.)

So. Despite my amazing *slight cough on fingertips* whipped cream abilities, I always tend to forget how much it GROWS when you whip it. The bowl I had just barely made it. And by the time I had enough sugar in the mixture, I had whipped it enough where it was almost butter. So... I had some almost butter/over beat whipped cream to spread. And a LOT of it. I didn't even use a fourth of it... Maybe an eighth... We'll have to have lots of things with whipped cream on it in the next little while... Maybe we can make more Frog eye salad...

Anyway, the moment you all are waiting for. The picture unveiling... Dun dun du da!

It's a heart. If you can tell... Well... it's a heart within a heart. And six unneeded raspberries.
I have also never made a layered cake before.
Bug's opinion:
Goof Ball's opinion:
Our opinion:
It turns out that Goof Ball doesn't particularly enjoy the taste of raspberries. But he ate the whole thing, sans raspberries. He'll just have to grow accustomed to the taste. ^_^

To be frankfully honest, I can't really remember the taste of my aunt's torte when she made it for my mom on her birthday this year. It was too many months ago. But this tasted close enough to it that I loved it just as much.

Another fun side note: Pro Boxer had apparently thought of asking me to make this for him, but he never did because he thought it was too much work for me. He is much more selfless than I. I guess I was on the right path when I decided to bus the kids to the store to get the raspberries and cream. Hurray for snap decisions! ^_^

4 comments:

Deanna said...

yay! good job! it seems whenever I want something to turn out really well it usually flops. so yay for no flopping tortes :D

Me said...

It must have been inspiration!! It looks delicious and I'm sad we couldn't join in!

P.S. Your boys look adorable; did they get their hair cut?

Anonymous said...

Hooray! It sounds like a great success!

the mathematician said...

MMMMMMMmmmmmmm! I'm drooling.

And you're one up on me! You'll have to teach me the whipped cream thing. I always just buy Cool Whip and hope to remember to thaw it in time. I should send my cookie salad recipe for you. It uses whipped cream and does have some healthy components. Ok, well, while I'm at it, here it is:

Cookie Salad
16 oz Cool Whip (big tub)
1 (4-serving) instant vanilla pudding mix, prepared
22 oz mandarin oranges, drained
20 oz pineapple chunks, drained
6 ripe bananas, sliced
1 pkg striped fudge cookies, crushed - or you could try oreos!

You just mix it all together, adding the more fragile items last. This is a flexible recipe. Add more or less or something different as desired. It makes a large bowl full, so you can share with your neighbors! :)

Oh - another great whipped topping use...
Grate some Granny Smith apples and add whipped topping and raisins to taste. We all love it! (I leave the skin on while grating, or you could peel it first.)