Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Shorinji Kempo

When I first mentioned this on my blog a few posts down I said it was a Japanese martial art.  Well, that is kind of true - but more than that, it isn't about fighting, it is about defending yourself, and anyone around you.  There are offensive techniques, but those are taught to be used when it is already clear that you or someone near you is getting attacked.

In any case, it is more a way of life, a form of living rather than a martial art.  We meditate every practice, and we talk about values.  It is founded on the Buddhism values, but as it is taught in America, we don't focus on the religious aspect of it, but the mindset and trying to find peace in life and stuff like that.  It is hard to explain.

But for me, it has become to be a form of therapy.  I have a lot of anger built up that I hid myself from my whole life.  And there have been times when I went to kempo holding in all that anger throughout the day.  And then sensei would pull out the big rectangular pads, as large as a torso and I got really excited, because that means we are practicing kicks.  Having done dance for 13 years of my life, my legs were always more strong than my arms, which means my kicks are a lot stronger than my punches.  And kicking things when I'm angry and frustrated is really helpful.  And therapeutic.  It has helped me more than anything else since my bubble popped about a year ago and all my angry emotions came flying out.

And that's why I have stuck with it all summer despite the lung problems and the palpitating heart.  And for the first time in probably nearing 10 years, I can feel muscle in my upper arm instead of just flab.  It doesn't raise up yet when I flex, but I can feel it.  But disregarding the good things it is doing for my physical body, my emotions and my mind probably get some of the best benefit from it.  I always feel really refreshed in all aspects after kempo.

1 comment:

the mathematician said...

You'll have to show me some moves sometime!