Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

What am I?

Once upon a time, I was talking to a Korean couple an hour a day to help them with their english. The husband (Korean banker) brought up a lot of subjects that made me think. I am not one to really have an opinion of many of things, and maybe that is why it was kind of hard to talk to them, because the Korean banker had an opinion of many of things and couldn't understand why I didn't have an opinion.

Now, let's be hypothetical now, shall we? You, as my reader, are oriental. Your parents are oriental, and you were born in America, so you are an American. An Oriental American I guess.

Then there is me. I was born an American, and my parents are American, and their parents' are American to how ever back it goes. But what am I? Even if your parents (remember, you are Oriental) have lived in America for however many generations, you are still Oriental because your great great grandparents moved into America from an Oriental country. Yet, we are both American. What does that make me? Do I have a name? Sure my ancestors came from Scotland and England. Does that make me an English American?

I'm really boggled by this, and I would appreciate some comments on here from friends and family, or even those that don't know me. I'm not biased against any nationality or anything like that, I am just confused as to...well, I'm not sure exactly, but I explained it as best I could above. I hope I haven't confused any of you, but I wouldn't be surprised (random fact: I think surprised should be spelt like this, suprized. But whenever I spell it like that a red line pops up...) if I did confuse you because of my random fact or because of the fact that I am confused myself. (another random fact: isn't spelt a word? There is a red line under the word spelt above...)

I guess I'm getting way side tracked, so I guess I'll sign off before I confuse us all more. Please, if you have an idea of a way to answer my question "What am I?" please post because I need all the help I can get.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you're just plain American. That's my heritage too, back to the 1700's we've all lived in America. I know I'm not "Native American", but I think I'm about as Navtive as it gets around here!

Anonymous said...

I think I shall call myself a "Proudtobean American!" :)

Azteroth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Azteroth said...

I agree with mmm.chocolate. We're american, not ______ American. Especially for people like me. My dad's 100% swiss just because both his parents were, though it's my great grandparents who were the last to live in Switzerland. Then there's my mom's side. That side has a great, great "Native" American ancestor (making me 1/36th native american), english, Irish and Scottish ancestors, some of which fought in the Revolutionary war.
I think it's mostly a matter of who you identify as your homeland. As for me, I could be Swiss American, or (pushing it) Native American, or Irish American etc. But I believe the USA is my homeland (and that skin colour ought have no bearing on how people define me) and therefor am an American American. :)

Deanna said...

I am just like you. I am driving myself nuts because I don't know who my relatives are or where they came from. Though, I believe I am part English and part Scottish, and maybe a little Native American.