Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

I have lost my faith in doctors.

Throughout my life, I have seen doctors many times. The main reasons: ear infections, pneumonia, pregnancy. Only for one of these reasons have I found a doctor who seems to know what he is doing, and I would move back to my current town for nine months if ever I get pregnant again away from this wonderful valley just so I could have him as a doctor again.

As far as the doctors I have talked with about pneumonia (or the subsequent lung problems as a result of it) or the ear infections didn't seem to know what to do to cease the infections (as far as the ears go) or the problems (as far as the lungs go).

When I was a child, I continuously suffered from ear infections. The cause? Cold. Who found this out? My wonderful mother and I. The doctor I was going to tried various diets or tests to find the reason why I kept getting infected. From only having three servings of milk a day (which I HATED by the way) to having a sugar-less piece of gum everyday (which I LOVED by the way). I thought he was CRAZY. Why would chewing a piece of gum have any affect on my ear infections? I almost wonder if he was just prolonging our coming to him to supply him with more money.

In some earlier posts this summer I discussed problems I have had with my lungs. The main one consists of such excruciating pain coming from them that I could hardly breathe and felt sure that I had pneumonia again. We went to the Instacare, and to not talk about it all over again (see this post), we left without any explanation as to why my lungs felt like that. My lungs were clear, and all they did was give me pain and nausea killers. We left with the instruction to go to the ER if that ever happened again in case it was a blood clot in my lungs. Once again, my wonderful mother and I realized a solution to the problem. I just have extraordinarily weak lungs from all the bouts of pneumonia I have had. Solution? Play my trumpet. I had even done a test of sorts to prove this theory.

July 4th I had a gig that I was glad to play at. I woke up with pain in my lungs. I dreaded that night playing my trumpet, but I insisted on continuing anyway. One: because I was first trumpet and they needed me, two: because it would give me a chance to test it. I tried to take it easy all day, so as not to strain them in anyway, and then I played the gig. The gig started out with my lungs still pained. By the middle of the first song or the beginning of the second song, they no longer were pained. By the end of the concert I could breathe fully and without stretching my lungs.

With these little discoveries (and in regard to my lungs, quite a big discovery seeing as without air I cannot live) that I have made, without doctors help, would you doubt that I hesitate to go to one of the money leechers and tell them that my lungs ache when I take a big breath or that my constant coughing is wearing my throat raw? Sure, I could play my trumpet every time my lungs start hurting, but what of my neighbors? I can hear them talk through the walls. What I really need, is a way to help my lungs stay strong that isn't quite so loud. Who do I trust to go to to find these answers? Certainly not the doctor who had me leave Instacare with a pain killer medication in my hand and questions running through my head as to why I went there in the first place that he didn't seem able to answer.

As you can see... I have completely lost my faith in doctors.

6 comments:

Deanna said...

I know exactly how you feel! my lung pain isn't too severe, but it gets annoying. it was nice that all my usual ailments went away while I was pregnant, but I am sad they have returned. it's like pregnancy made me superwoman! I hope you feel the same (morning sickness aside, since theres no way around it.)

Azteroth said...

I had similar lung pain after I had Jayden. There were times when it hurt to breathe unless I was laying in just a certain way. I talked to my mom about it and she said it was simply from sitting around all the time. You end up not breathing as deeply as you normaly have and so you end up not getting all the crap and phlegm out of your lungs, hence the pain. She told me the only way to get rid of it is to breathe deeply through it (and do more). That's what worked for me, and is consistent with your trumpet playing theory.
So, you can always consider it incentive to get out and do more. :)

james said...

Exercise! Dad seemed to think this could help most any ailment, and I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't far from the truth!

Anonymous said...

If you want something less noisy than a trumpet how about a recorder? You still have to blow and stretch the lungs, but it's a bit quieter. Plus the plastic ones are really inexpensive. And one day when you have truly mastered the art, you will be able to play with your nose!

Anonymous said...

previous anonymous comment was me, Adriene

Janene said...

I think it is hard to find a great doctor, or at least one that is great with you. Very important though. Just takes time I guess.