Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dr. Lion

Introduction:
My music professor who conducts the elite band's name is Dr. Lion (well... not really. But it fits.) He is short. He can intimidate anyone. And does. When he gives complements, you know they are sincere because he wouldn't say something he doesn't mean. Have I captured his essence enough for you?

Scene:
In the band room, during practice, we read music and rehearsed, and fixed things... and all that good stuff. Me and another trumpet playing girl (I guess we can call her Jeweler) play the trumpet parts. (side note... sometimes music doesn't only have trumpet parts, but cornet parts. Usually when that happens, there are only two trumpet parts and the rest of the section plays the cornet parts. Personally, I can't tell the difference between trumpets and cornets, the sound at least, and well, everyone plays on trumpets anyway. In any case, I play second trumpet when there are trumpet parts, and Jeweler plays first trumpet.) During one song where Jeweler and I were sight reading the music (because we didn't have the parts the last time we went through the music) there was one part about 3-4 measures long or so where both Jeweler and I played perfectly, and it was a section where we both kinda stood out in the music. Dr. Lion turned to us (he had been cuing us the whole time - hence paying attention to our playing), stuck his thumb up and said, "Great job, ladies!"

I was so shocked and astonished, I became flustered and almost missed my next entrance (which of course I needed to get my mute for). There have been a few times when Dr. Lion would compliment my playing, and I know that he thinks I am really quite good. But this was, if not the first, one of the first times when he did so so publicly, and in a way that brought attention to our/my playing. Even when I was driving home, and remembering the semi-crappy day that I had, thinking about that just lifted my spirits and made me smile.

Epilogue:
After class, I had to ask Dr. Lion about a different song, but I brought both of them up with me, and before I was able to ask my question he said, "Isn't that a great piece?" (he must have seen I brought both of them with me) Then he grabbed my music, turned to the other piece that we played well in that one part, he found it and asked something like, "Had you been able to practice this yet?" I replied, "No." And he went on pointing out other parts and saying, "And this part!" You could tell that he loves the piece... but yeah. Not only was I complimented during the playing of it, but afterwards as well.

Update:
I am not taking over 18 credits. I decided after thinking it through that it would be unwise of me to still try to get into that class that I was on the waiting list for (it is possible that I may not have even been able to anyway) so I just took myself off the list and settled for what I do have. Which is good... I suppose. Life is crazy enough without that extra class to read and write for.

So... with that said, eventually I'll get this house in good enough order to take pictures and post them. Until then, just be patient and some day (maybe) I'll get around to it.

No comments: