Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bread and Insurance

First you combine together in a small bowl one TB of yeast, 1/4 cup slightly warm water and 1 tsp. sugar in a small bowl. Set aside. Yeast should rise as it sits.

Then in a larger bowl combine together 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp. salt and a dash of PPO.

Cut up 1/4 of butter and put in the middle of the flour mixture.

Heat up 1 cup of milk with a pinch of High Deductible powder until hot. Pour over the butter. Butter should melt.

Add one beaten egg, yeast mixture and 1 tsp. of FSA.

Gradually add approx. 2 cups of flour until workable. Stir until can't any more.

Knead until smooth.

Place in a greased bowl and let rise until double.

Punch down with a deductible. Place in a bread pan or shape into rolls. Let rise until double.

Bake @ 375. Rolls: 10-12 mins. Loaf: 15 mins.

My sister may recognize this recipe. I really do love it. If you take out the health insurance terms it makes a wicked loaf of bread, or really tasty rolls.

Let me tell you how my day went, and maybe this will make sense to you.

I knew I needed to make a loaf of bread today for an Emergency Preparedness Fair that my ward is having this Saturday. I wanted to make it on a day that I didn't have any other plans so I wouldn't have to work around them. In preparation to make said loaf of bread, I needed to unshambleize my kitchen. Before that even happened though, I got a call from Rocket Scientist's employer. We can finally get benefits and are way excited. She called to let us know that today was the deadline. I had no idea what any of the above terms meant. I knew I would have to learn them to some degree before we turn in the paper work and in a hope to get two things done at once, I called my parents to help me learn these terms.

One thing you should never do. Mix health insurance with bread making. To tell the truth, bread making is hard enough as it is. Add in learning the stupid terms the insurance companies come up with is even harder. Yes. I messed up the bread. Have to make another one tomorrow when I already have something scheduled. Oh well. You live and you learn. I didn't let the loaf of bread rise the second time. The only way to get the middle part to cook was to have the crust burnt. Yeah...

Btw, if you do try out this bread recipe, don't do it all whole wheat. It makes it too uh... what is the word?? Thick? Sure. I do half and half. White in the first batch of flour, and wheat on the second. Or vise versa. Oh, and don't combine any insurance termanology with it. It won't work.

2 comments:

Janene said...

I haven't made a good bread like this forever. Thanks for the reminder!

Insurance! It's a love/hate relationship, no? I'm glad you'll have those benefits now. :o)

Pavlov Stowardi said...

you know, i do happen to work for a health insurance company and am more than glad to help you understand some of those things in more depth... i'll be on gmail soon and we could chat...