Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Computer problems

Ok. So. Here you go. Very long post, so if you aren't all that interested in my computer problems, don't read it. And don't worry. I don't know a lot about processors and long words and the technical words that deal with computers so this is dumbed down for those of us who those words go in one ear and out the other.

A while ago, I was having a problem with my computer. Pretty much the only real problem was a full C drive. I had a D drive as well, but my C drive was about 20 gigs, two of which were empty. My D drive was about 100 gigs? Not really sure. As you could guess... my D drive I got later than my C one. I didn't want to deal with wiping my C drive and changing them at that point, and it didn't seem to really matter.

ANYWAY... so yeah. My C drive was full and I couldn't download anything anymore, and plus, it kept being weird with the problem with the fact that there was hardly enough room in the C drive to even operate the computer. We decided to get a new hard drive.

This new hard drive is 700. Though I didn't really want to deal with copying files, wiping and starting from scratch again, I knew I would regret not making the 700 hard drive my C drive. After we put an operating system on the 700 drive, I have been working on that since. I for the most part put all the programs and things that I had on my other drive and have it running almost to my liking. Only thing is it would do funny things and take forever and a day to start up if I turned it off. So I would put it on sleep mode every night to conserve energy yet not completely turn it off.

We woke up yesterday to my computer still running on a dos screen that said "detecting array". No idea what that means, only that it didn't go on sleep mode like it was supposed to, or sometime during the night it came off sleep mode. In any case, I had to restart my computer. I did so. It would not turn on. At all. It got to the screen where it would boot from a CD if it had a bootable CD in the drive. I did have a CD in there and thought it was confused. So I took it out and tried again. This continued for a while while Rocket Scientist and I were trying to find a reason for this, and trying different things. At one point my CD drive caused problems so we tried unplugging it. It still tried to boot from CD. We changed the priority for what the computer should try to boot from. Nothing did any good.

I unplugged all the drives but the 700 gig one. It wouldn't work. Then I plugged in the other two drives that were priviously my C and D drive. It worked. All day yesterday I was under the impression that my brand new 700 gig drive was bad. I was certain it would still be under warrenty, but I was vexed that I couldn't access it. I had done a lot of work on my story on that drive and hadn't backed it up figuring that since it was brand new, it wasn't as important.

I'm babbling too much. I'm sure most of you could care less. In any case, yesterday I went through the whole day without a CD drive. I didn't care that much. I had opened up my computer enough that day for my enjoyment for years to come. I was depressed the whole day because of the possibility that we couldn't get the files off the drive at all seeing as it wouldn't turn on at all if the drive was connected.

Rocket Scientist had the idea of using a operating system that runs off the CD drive then it would boot from the CD drive like it was trying to do, but we could maybe (main word... MAYBE) have the 700 gig drive plugged in and be able to at least access the drives to copy them to a different drive.

To try this, I opened my comptuer once again this morning to plug in the CD drive. While in there, I had the thought that perhaps it might be the cords to the 700 gig drive that were messed up. I felt it was at least worth a shot seeing as we shouldn't condem the drive to be the problem if we hadn't tried every aspect of it. Thankfully, we had different cords that would go into it, and Rocket Scientist plugged them in. While doing so, he blew a little bit every once in a while. Dust is a big problem in computers.

So big a problem that there is a possibility of it slipping between the connection between pluggies and where the pluggies go. That was the either the problem or it was the cords. In any case, it is NOT the drive that is the problem. I am very relieved. It worked. I could open my computer and it is just like it was before. I am very glad that I don't have to worry aobut contacting Samsung and finding out where to send the drive and then wait to find out what they would say about it. I knew I wouldn't be patient enough for that.

Anyway, so yeah. That is my long story about computer problems. And since the CD drive was plugged in when I turned it on, I could get the ultrasounds pics on my computer and post them for you. *whew* I'm glad my drive still works.

5 comments:

Azteroth said...

Something to think about... For years (since I was in high school) I've had a 20 gig and an 100 gig in my computer. What my local computer geeks have done is partition the hardrives into at least 2 different drives (usually three). On the smaller drive they install my OS and all the applications. Then, I save everything to the larger hard drive. This serves two purposes. First, I rarely fill my OS hard drive so full that it cannot work properly. 2nd, and mose important to me, is that if anything happens to the hard drive I don't need to deal with all my saved stuff. In other words, if my OS gets hosed or I need to wipe it all and start fresh it's only the smaller hard drive that needs work. Nothing is done to the bigger hard drive. If the small hard drive crashes or gets corrupted all my files are safely stored on a different hard drive. It's so nice and convenient. Of course, you should still back up your files, but I don't find it necessary to do it as often this way. It feel so much less precarious. Also, if your hard drive does become corrupted and you're afraid you need to throw it out and loose all your data, Jason knows a way that you can get the data back sometimes. He's done it for me before, much to my relief. :)

Azteroth said...

To conclude, i would suggest that you partition your 100 gig from your 700 gig, put OS and apps on your 100 gig ONLY and save everything to your 700 gig ONLY.

Anonymous said...

Where have you disappear too recently?!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I agree. (fluff)Friends .. i'm so running out of ideas. :( I'm never going to get my uniko anyway! :( so expensive.

Syme Family said...

If you leave your e-mail on my blog I will deleat it as soon as I write it down so no one can see it.
I love the cross stich project you do. They turned out really nice.