Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Food Strike

Goof Ball has been walking down the street with signs saying: "No more food!", "Milk diet ftw!", "Feeding kids solids = abuse!"

Okay, he really hasn't, but he may as well have been. It would probably be better than the screaming, throwing, and spitting out that HAS been happening.

I have heard (mainly from my mom) about the "food strike age." I believe she said it was from age 2-6 or so. During this time, kids learn how to live on their baby fat. And I'll be the first to say that Goof Ball has plenty. ^_^ But... the process isn't fun for the parents. I'll also be the first to admit to that. Leftover homemade mac n' cheese mixed into spaghetti sauce. Sounds good no? Well apparently it isn't good enough for Mr. Food Strike. The only thing he'll accept is milk. And one may ask, "Well from all the screaming, maybe his throat hurts." Likely. But I gave him a little bit when he took one, ONE solitary maccoroni noodle. The result was the same. He wanted more milk. I gave him the option of eating another just as small portion of meat. He freaked out once again.

I will stop there, so as to prevent boring you from our dinner fiasco. I have been debating on how best to proceed with this. I refuse to give in and spoil him, making him think that he can get away with having a whole meal of just milk. I believe I heard somewhere that he is still young enough to live off of milk... but that isn't a very healthy way to live. Not only that, but it would be spoiling him, giving into his wants like that. But yet... wouldn't it be better to let him get full off of milk instead of no food at all? As you can see, I am kind of torn with this. Bug likely went on a food strike time, but it was so minimal that I don't remember many problems. But then, Bug didn't have a whole lot of baby fat to live off of.

I guess for now... at least for tonight, sticking to refusing him milk unless he eats is the best route as I already committed to it. Any subsequent nights I am sure I'll be at a loss and debating just what I did tonight.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Tyler lived off of milk alone for four years. It's not that we didn't have him try other food, it's just that he didn't eat enough of the other food to count as food.

You can find research on this topic to satisfy whatever you want to hear. There is the try at least one bite rule, or the don't make food be a fight approach, or toddlers should have two healthy snacks a day, or eat one meal and then nothing until the next meal (hoping that they realize they are hungry and really eat the next meal) etc. It all contradicts each other. Go with your instincts.

Me said...

I agree with Becca to go with your instincts. I, of course, have no experience in the matter, but I think you're right to not give in. My brother did that, and his kid is SO picky!

If taking him to the pediatrician is an option, maybe he could find out if Goof Ball has a problem swallowing. ?

Azteroth said...

Yup, there's lots of methods. My personal philosophy is I make him a plate of whatever we're eating (I try to incorporate something he does like such as corn, or yogurt or rolls or whatever) and a small glass of drink. He eats what he gets and can only have more of any particular thing (usually milk or apple juice) if he eats a decent quantity of solid food. If he's thirsty he can have as much water as he wants (which he can get for himself).
I don't insist that he eat all his food, that leads to bad eating habits (my entire family is overweight & we all have the same issue of eating any and all food that is in front of us, it's a habit and it is HARD to overcome). If he doesn't want to eat, well that's fine. I leave it out until he goes to bed in case he gets hungry. Sometimes he eats, sometimes he doesn't. It doesn't seem to effect him much either way.
On the subject of food, though, Monkey is soooo addicted to sugar. Seriously addicted. If there is any candy in the house he will eat it all, all at once and throws the biggest fits if I try to stop him. Sugar addiction is terrible thing...

Anonymous said...

How long has it been going on? Just a couple of days...let him miss a meal. Months...you might consider force feeding :) I usually try the "eat XX bites and then you can..." approach, but for my kids it has always been fruit as a reward. Let him have his choice, milk, as a snack (a big snack if he hasn't eaten) and then when you are serving other foods try to get him to eat something else. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

HRH said...

I liked the suggestion about having him drink water until he eats some food. I have a sibling with a son who is 3 and won't eat ANYTHING. He just drinks 6-8 or more sippy cups of milk a day. Occasionally he'll eat tiny pieces of bread rolled into balls- but only if he gets a fruit snack or m&m after EACH bite. My advice- try not to give in. If it gets too bad talk to your Pediatrician.

Hannah