Can I have some?

welcome to my blog.

a place to post. a place to eat oreos. a place to vent. a place to heal.

i started this blog so i could use a different outlet besides munching on fattening oreos. as if that has done any good... *mind wanders to oreo package in the house...*

then i realized that oreos can be semi symbolic. if you are are that crazy about oreos that is. which... i am.

eating oreos is therapeutic for me. when i am struggling or when i need a pick me up. they have chocolate. and sugar. both of which help lift my mood. not to mention that i eat them soaked with milk, which is my miracle drink.

i post my posts to not only get stuff out. there may be people who read my blog who have been in the same kind of situations as i have. i hope reading them and knowing that others have gone through things like i have, will be to you what eating oreos does to me.


and yes. i didn't capitalize anything in here. i just felt like it. deal with it.


munch up.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Band. Ten. HUT!

One of my favorite things about college is the Marching Band. Not only is it directed by the one and only Dr. Lion, but... for some odd reason, I just plain darn love it. Many people think I am crazy that I get sad at the end of the season. And yes, I truly do. Though... I think by the end of last season, I had a little bit of joy. It was a rough one for me.

Dr. Lion is... well he is one man that I truly respect. So much that I fear him. 'Tis true... I fear him. I believe most of the band members do. At the end of the school year, I wrote on the paper on his door declaring that I wanted to be the section leader for the trumpets, or squad leader, also adding on field coordinator. To be honest (and maybe show my inflated head), I thought for certain that I would be chosen for at least the squad leader. I wasn't so certain about the field coordinator, but I was kinda so-so for the job anyway. My heart was really in a knot for the section leader position. I have always wanted to be section leader. I have known three different section leaders in my time, two of which were when I was a music major, the third was this past year, my younger brother. Each one I looked up to almost with the same respect and admiration I have for Dr. Lion, though... without the fear. Dr. Lion just has this presence... despite how short he is, I wouldn't be surprised if most people fear him.

I know that when Dr. Lion chooses who is leadership in Marching Band, he places Music Ed. majors over other candidates because they need the experience. If I was still a Music Ed. major, I know for certain that I would have been chosen for section leader. A friend of mine, Jeweler, I mentioned before (in the previous link connected to Dr. Lion) is a Music Ed. major. Her first year in college was last year. Hence she would be a sophomore this year. I was absolutely certain she would at least be chosen for squad leader, because of her major. She is also a pretty remarkable player and person. She was bound to be chosen. I was also absolutely certain that I would be chosen for at least squad leader. I didn't have any idea on the other people who applied for I didn't know them as well, didn't know their majors, yadda yadda yadda.

So... who was chosen for section leader? Who will get a pie in the face on exactly Aug. 27th around 2 pm? Shay or Jeweler? A Music Ed. major or a once Music Ed. major, now English?

Before we get to that... (evil laughter ensues....) here is a fun story about Dr. Lion:

At a football game, I overheard him telling this story to someone else. He was walking up around the concesions [for the life of me I can't find out how to spell that word... I hope you all know what it means] with his black suit and white baseball cap, dark glasses that restricted anyone to see where he was looking, and of course, his head set so he could keep in contact with the drum major. He noticed a few girls huddled together eyeing him warily. And... just for fun, he muttered into his headset and gestured to the girls. They hustled off pretty quick. ^_^

Now that you all hate me (or already know the outcome), the answer would be... Yes. Yours truly. *shudder...* I. Have NEVER wanted a pie in my face. *sigh...

But it is decided. Also, not only am I the section leader, but Jeweler is a squad leader. A. Squad leader. Which means there are TWO squad leaders for the trumpets. Back when I was fresh out of high school and a music major to boot, it was astonishing when we would have enough trumpets to even need one squad leader. Crazy... I already know my number for the chart. A1. Trumpet section leaders are always A1. I see myself, little insecure me, being A1. Possibly being the person that the freshmen will look at and admire with the same admiration I have had for my three different section leaders... I can't help but shudder when I think of that, assuming that I will never be able to stand up to that sort of reputation.

What's done is done I suppose... we'll just have to see how it goes. And possibly practice a bit more this summer than I ever had any other summer... don't want to embarrass myself...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Sis (about the position, not about the pie)! You'll be grand, just grand!

Me said...

Woo-hoo!! Congratulations! You will be great.